Is Windows "evil"? (Ads, Telemetry etc!)

General discussion about computers and electronics. You can post new topics here.
Jacob
Site Admin

Is Windows "evil"? (Ads, Telemetry etc!)

Post by Jacob »

Is Windows "evil"?
(This is a comment I made on the YouTube video Microsoft Makes Switching to Linux The Only Option by The Linux Cast):

I wouldn't exactly say Windows is an "evil peace of crap" myself. The problem I see is the big change in there business model where they have made Windows an ad based product. They now provide upgrades to Windows without charging a fee, and that is a huge problem because they have to recoup that loss by adding ads, telemetry and forced obsolescence.

Windows now has ads and telemetry. Windows 11 installer checks the hardware and refuses to install if the hardware is older. Not because Windows 11 won't work on it but because they want users to discard the computer or computers and buy a new one which will get Microsoft more money because Microsoft gets money for the new Windows 11 license during the purchase.

There is also the new TPM which I and many others don't like. Windows 11 uses that unfortunately. Removed features and reduced functionality are some other issues with the post Windows 7 era.

Windows can be forced into submission to mitigate these issues completely or almost completely, however it takes a lot of hacking, so you are actively fighting your OS. Not a healthy relationship with your personal computer that should be personal instead of broadcasting personal information about your usage.

That's why I got a Linux laptop which is what I am typing this on now. (Technically it was made with Windows 7 and sold used with Linux Mint, but I didn't want to spend a boat tun of money. I'm not exactly rich.)

Check out the Delta Fox Design links page for information about how to fix these issues. Even more links will be added in the future to fix more anti-consumer anti-features of Windows, including Windows 11. https://www.deltafoxdesign.com/links
Last edited by Jacob on Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title
Jacob Persico
Owner & Webmaster
Delta Fox Design